Entry Level 1911

Forums General Discussion Entry Level 1911

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    arigo
    Participant

Ed & the Collective,

I am looking to get a 1911 as a carry piece and pass the Kahr on to Wiskey6. She and I are both educators now so the gun fund is limited. Definately don’t have $800+ to spend on a Sign, Kimberly or Colt. What do you recommend for a carry quality entry level 1911?

Thanks,

Tony

cranfordcb
    Participant

Springfield Mil-Spec if you want a full size model.

mattbuck
    Participant

I don’t have one, but I’ve been eyeing the Ruger SR1911 for a while now. When Ed has them, they are usually under $700.

john mckenzie
    Participant

I was in Ed’s today and he has some very nice 1911s. A couple of nice Springfield’s and several other brands also. Just make sure

you hold one with a high grip safety (beavertail and one without) ones with are much more comfortable imo.

Rock Island Armory also makes a nice one for the price. I shoot USPSA and use a RIA and it works great for me. Good enough that I purchased

a compact Rock Island Armory for carry.

I know that both of these brands have great CS also.

JM

frankmoses
    Participant

Ruger SR1911 CMD. Cost is not much more than a GLOCK and made in the USA.

ih mike
    Participant

I gotta throw in a Para GI expert and I’d bet some of them American Tactical are good ENTRY level. I’ve got 6 1911’s and the para shoots, eats anything, and is the most accurate.

jwhop3325
    Participant

Rock Island or Ruger probably best options for a budget.

Will

arigo
    Participant

Thanks had been looking at the Rock Island, mostly BC sootch seems to like them. Good to get some input on others as well.

Tony

ed

Rock Island for the $

Then Springfield or Ruger

arigo
    Participant

Ed,

What do your RIA’s go for?

Tony

angie-darrell
    Participant

I’ve seen RIA 1911’s cook on the ranger all afternoon without a hiccup. A used 1991 Colt will set you back more but I bought one from Ed in 1991 and it’s never failed to out perform my expectations. Either way you will be happy.

brian_grimm
    Participant

I bought a Ruger SR1911CMD from ED’S about a month ago & I couldn’t be happier! Already put more than 500 rounds through it & haven’t had 1 FTF or FTE. Shoots better than my buddy’s Para GI Expert. Wife loves shooting it too! Good quality handgun & made in the USA! Small enough to carry & good Novak 3-dot sights for quick target acquisition. Absolutely love my SR1911CMD!

ih mike
    Participant

I thought it was ENTRY level. 700 bucks aint it. My wife loves mine too. 😆

ed

Ruger now $619

troupe
    Participant

If you can afford the Ruger, get it. The thing about it is that if you would ever do any custom work to it, it wont cost a fortune to refinish if you have any machine work done (checkering the front strap) since it is stainless. Plus it is a Series 70 syle safties. You wont loose your money, because of the Ruger name. People buy Colt’s because of the name all of the time. If the Ruger is to much, the RIA that Ed sells are a great starting point and you won’t shoot one to death no matter what people say about cheaper guns. John is right, if it will stand up to USPSA shooting, the average shooter won’t wear it out. As with any firearm, proper maintnence will get you years of service.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.