rem 700 5R mil spec 308 handloads

Forums General Discussion rem 700 5R mil spec 308 handloads

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cholstein
    Participant

Anybody hand loading for this rifle.I really like the feel of this rifle and everything about it but I am really having a hard time get anything to group. I have been using Varget and Blc (2) with lapua brass and winchester primers. Sierra, speer, hornady and nosler in the 155 to 175 grain weight bullets.Mostly match grade but the nosler and hornady were soft tips and all boat tail. Went through the one shot and clean routine for breakin for 12 rounds and then 2 shots and clean for another 20 rounds. All breakin was Federal match in 168. Started with low end loads and worked up to max loads with just about all. Can’t get anything to group under an inch from 100 yds. Don’t want to open up anybodies deep dark secrets but any help or experience would be welcome and appreciated. Carl

dukedomain
    Participant

Usually when I have that problem I just let someone else shoot my gun and the problem goes away! You got a good shooter there and should expect 1/2 moa. I think those barrels were designed for the M118 special ball loads which are 173 gr. the 11.2 twist rate was made to stabilize heavy bullets so I’d start there and not go any lighter. Check head spacing on your hand loads, I’ll bet the factory loads are just a tad short for your gun. Have you tried the 175 gr Sierra Match King?

I know I haven’t said anything you don’t already know but I love that gun and want to see you get the most out of it. Keep us posted. Good luck!

Duke

easternncnative
    Participant

I’ve been shooting a 5R for 3 years now. 175 grain Sierra Match Kings, 43 grains of Varget or 43.5 grains of Reloder 15 gives me ~2660 fps. Less than half MOA at 100 yards and good to 1,000 yards. I use Lapua brass and neck size only. My gun is not picky about bullet seating depth. I’ve tried other bullets, lighter and heavier but my gun loves 175 gr SMKs.

cholstein
    Participant

Thanks for the responses. The 175 grn SMK is the load I want to develop the most so yes I have been working with that one. I have tried 10k and 20k off the lands as well as standard depth and neither seem to make much difference. I have wanted to try some r15 or benchmark but haven’t been able to get any. I have a 223 and 243 that I have developed multiple loads for and on occasion will do less than .5 for 5 shots at 100. I have only used new lapua so maybe I’ll neck size some and try those. Thanks again and I will post again with any updates.

i deal in lead
    Participant

Easternncnative wrote:

I’ve been shooting a 5R for 3 years now. 175 grain Sierra Match Kings, 43 grains of Varget or 43.5 grains of Reloder 15 gives me ~2660 fps. Less than half MOA at 100 yards and good to 1,000 yards. I use Lapua brass and neck size only. My gun is not picky about bullet seating depth. I’ve tried other bullets, lighter and heavier but my gun loves 175 gr SMKs.

This post quoted above contains some very good advice. True 5R milspec 308 barrels use a 1 in 11.24″ twist that was chosen to shoot 173-175 gr match bullets at approx 2600 fps. I have 2 of these rifles, but unlike Easternncnative mine both have seating depth requirements. They both shoot 175 MKs into 0.4 MOA on a regular basis from the bench, but one wants them 0.005 off the lands and one wants them jumping 0.010. Reloader 15 and Varget are fine choices, but Ramshot Tac has been the best for me (plus it meters and measures amazingly well). I also consider brass prep critical; every primer pocket is reamed square, every flash hole is deburred, and every neck is turned when necessary. Good luck.

mudbug
    Participant

Try imr 4064 powder. My gun loves it with a 175gr matchking.

cholstein
    Participant

OK guys 43.5 of Varget setting the 175 smk at .010 off the lands got me under an inch at 100yds. 3 – 3 shot groups all under an inch with 2 out of 3 groups had 2 of the shots touching. Little warm today so thats all I did but will continue to refine this load changing seating depth down to .005. Thanks for the comments and I will try the other powders if I can get some. I also want to try The Hornady 177 grain A max one of these days. Never satisfied is what makes it fun. Thanks and I’ll post any other refinements.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.